- Circulation: One thousand, one hundred and seventy. Welcome all!
Note from the Mods: Please encourage friends on your friends list to join and send their news. If you have an announcement you would like to make, a fic you’d like to promote, a question you’d like to ask, we invite you to simply format it according to the rules on the info page and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. You do not have to be a member to post but we are an open community and encourage everyone to join now. Only the mods may initiate new posts but comments are encouraged.
- • From TORn:
A review of the 1977 Rankin Bass Hobbit - Much has been written about The Hobbit in recent years thanks to the filming of the new trilogy of Peter Jackson films.But during all the hubbub surrounding Jackson and Company’s take on Tolkien’s classic story (positive and negative), there has been very little mentioned about the underrated 1977 Rankin Bass film adaptation of The Hobbit….
Benedict Cumberbatch to be honoured with Britannia award - News about Benedict Cumberbatch via Yahoo.co.uk: Daniel Wood wrote the following for Yahoo UK & Ireland as a contributor for that site. I’m fairly obsessed with The Hobbit’s Benedict Cumberbatch, I have been since I first saw him take on the role of Sherlock Holmes in BBC’s ‘Sherlock’. This is why it’s great to hear…
Why The Hobbit movie’s divergences are beneficial - Another interesting thought-piece that I stumbled on in my Middle-earth wanderings across the internet. In this article, Tolkien scholar Michael Martinez tackles the eternally vexing question of textual fidelity and why he feels that the divergences between novel and film are beneficial. THERE is a certain amount of creative license that enters into any film…
The Two Towers with live performance by The West Australian Symphony Orchestra - Calling all West Australian Ringers! After their sell out performance this year of The Fellowship of the Ring, the West Australian Symphony Orchestra (WASO) is following it up with two live performances of The Two Towers in Perth on June 20th and June 21st 2014. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers MUSIC BY…
One week until the LA Baggins Birthday Bash, new location - In just one week, the LA TORn staff will be hosting our annual Baggins Birthday Bash to help celebrate the shared birthday of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. In recent years, the tradition of Sept. 22 as ‘Hobbit Day’ has spread to Tolkien fan groups around the world, and there are a variety of ways to…
TORn Message Board Weekly Roundup – September 15, 2013 - Welcome to our collection of TORn’s hottest topics for the past week. If you’ve fallen behind on what’s happening on the Message Boards, here’s a great way to catch up on the highlights. Or if you’re new to TORn and want to enjoy some great conversations, just follow the links to some of our most…
Thranduil, The Fisher King and Oberon; Why It Matters - Ringer Marthe has sent us this interesting and thought-provoking article outlining comparisons of the Elven-king Thranduil with the legends of The Fisher King and Oberon, based on comments Lee Pace made in the August copy of Empire Magazine. Thranduil, The Fisher King and Oberon; Why It Matters by: Marthe In the much-discussed article in the…
- Note from the Mods: We would like to invite the moderators of other fandom communities to become ‘reporters’ or ‘scouts’ for middleearthnews. All we ask is that you send us formatted updates on your own communities for posting here.
OEAM Archive Updates for the Week of September 13: OEAM News
Object of loves (Maedhros/Fingon, Curufin, Finrod/Amarië, Rating: PG) by petite_dilly
• From AO3 - Archive of Our Own:
-- TOLKIEN J. R. R. - Works
-- Lord of the Rings - All Media Types
-- The Hobbit - All Media Types
-- Lord of the Rings RPF
-- The Hobbit (2012) RPF
- • brennanspeaks A Scion of Eärendil’s House (Rating: K+, Elladan and Elrohir think it’s time their brother saw more of the world. Elrond distrusts their motives—and his own) and The More Things Change (Rating: light T, Aragorn has no idea how he ended up stranded on a flooded hillside with a splitting headache. He puts a on a brave face for the concerned young man tending him, but it would all be so much easier if he could remember who that man is...)
• lindahoyland The Warrior and the Dreamer (Boromir, Faramir, OMC, Rating: PG, Faramir's visions prove dangerous for him)
- • Via TORn Forums: Movie Discussion - The Hobbit
Chapter of the Week: Prologue - Welcome to the very first chapter-by-chapter discussion thread for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey! This is the kickoff of regular discussion of our newest Middle-earth movie. …
- • Our deepest modly thanks to those of you who continue to send in content for the newsletter. Thank you so much. We couldn't do this without you. ♥
- Lord of the Peeps - Entropy House Productions brings the epic adventure alive as it has never been presented before. Come with us on a quest to defeat darkness, to save the world from the menace of unsleeping evil.
- Today's BOOK question : Gandalf said to Butterbur: “May your beer be laid under enchantment of surpassing excellence for ______ years.”?
All comments are screened so that only the mods can see the answers. Comments will be unscreened when the next edition is posted. Any comments on a different subject will be unscreened ASAP.
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY dawn_felagund and calmacil_20!!!
The mods would like to wish anyone having a special day the very best. Please send your special wishes to email@example.com.
That’s it for this edition. Please send your formatted post for Wednesday’s edition by 8:00 a.m. (Eastern time) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for joining us and tell your friends!